Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Are Hipsters the Horsement of the Apocalypse?

Ben discovered this fantastic Adbusters article via Stumble. The writer argues that Hipsters are "a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society." Essentially, Hipster subculture is useless - it doesn't stand for anything.

Hippies wanted peace and cheap weed.
Punks wanted anarchy and loud music.
Hip Hop wanted social reform and louder basslines.

Those scenes (in their original, true, subcultural forms) no longer exist.

Hipsters want cheap PBRs, a new unsigned band every week, and a massive thrift store next door to American Apparel.

I'm not saying I don't want those Hipstery things myself, but the article almost makes me feel bad about it.

Read the article.
Tell me - are Hipsters bringing the death of Western society?

No comments: